Friday, July 27, 2012

The Perfect Storm...

You know when you get that feeling in the pit of your stomach that something is going to be really really good and then it proceeds to keep you from sleeping all night because you keep thinking about it? Well that was me last night and I was up super early this morning too.

Remember the free mugs that I picked up from my neighbors a couple of days ago? Well, I realized on Wednesday that she & a few other nice ladies were gearing up for another sale this weekend and had started setting up tables and putting things out. I actually thought it started yesterday and stopped by to shop but they told me they weren't open til Friday but that I could go through the free pile if I wanted. They had added more so I picked up a couple of things and then made a mental note to be up bright and early the next morning to check out the stuff they were selling. I mean if the free pile was this good, what were they wanting money for?!

We drove by on our way home from dinner last night and I saw a bunch of vintage items & Christmas items, etc. I got excited. I actually spent a long while researching what sells well in vintage Christmas items on eBay last night so I wouldn't pass up anything by mistake! I woke up before everyone else this morning, calmly had my 1st cup of coffee and was jumping out of my skin by 8 to get down the street! I left my husband with the sleeping kids and practically ran out the door as soon as he was up!

It was everything I'd hoped for and MORE!

Lets start with what I spent money on:


I saw that the cute little elves do well in large groups on eBay. I'm collecting the Dr. Seuss beginner books for a large lot and the little box is 5 pewter figures from the Americana Collection. These items cost me $1.50.


I paid $10 for this vintage "Queen Bess" pattern Silver Plate set by Oneida Community. The lady told me her mother actually collected stamps to pay for this back when she bought it. I don't know how old it is but its in really good condition and there is a lot of pieces. I'm hoping for $100, maybe more, I'll keep you posted if it sells.


This is Mr. Mike from the original Toy Story movie. He was stuck in a box of games and had $5 written on the box. The lady told me it was from another yard sale left over so she'd take $4 for it. The seal on the box was broken, so I think that he was taken out of the box but never actually used. The only other 2 of these that I could find on eBay completed listings that had the box or were new in box, sold for $221 and $300. CHA-CHING! Seriously if I can get $200 for this guy I will be so happy! That will be my best score ever, if it sells for that much! Too bad theres a big $5 written on the box!

So $15.50 spent on a few items. Now lets look at what else I picked up from the huge FREE pile! They added a bunch more and said they got tired of going through things and just threw stuff over there and to have fun going through it that there were probably some good items in there...


I grabbed a few cool toys from the 90's. Remember that show "Dinosaurs"? Not the Mama! That's Robbie, the brother dino! The back of Snoopy's head is a rotating comic and the other items are just random and fun.


This is a shoe box full of vintage Christmas items and other kitschy things. It's going to take me a while to go through it all and see what I have. Most of it will probably get listed as craft supplies on my Etsy shop. There's also some super cool retro fabric, a couple of mugs, a cute frame and a lot of new in package craft items!


Sitting in the free pile was also this very cool wood crate full of jars. There's a few large canning jars and a ton of smaller vintage jam jars. Since I'm making jam this weekend it was perfect and really I picked up the crate because I've been looking for one.

So there you have it, I'm in yard sale heaven right now and can't wait to start getting these things listed! Especially Mr. Mike, I just need some "C" batteries to make sure he works! Sorry for another super long post, hope you all have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Score on the Toy Story toy!!!! Well....pretty much awesome score on everything! I hit up a local thrift store that was having a 50% off everything in the store sale and got a few items. Nothing great. Their prices are steep so I usually only shop on their 1/2 off days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the Magic Mike! I'll be looking for that now. Thank you for sharing your finds.

    ReplyDelete